Tuesday 12 March 2013

NHK Soundcheck file part 3: Their First Live.


*Note: Credit to egsani for the clip and here’s the link for those who wants to hear it :D If you want to download it, just press ‘下戴
Taka: well that was one ok rock’s deeper deeper. From here onwards, we would like to talk back about our first concert. There was a bit of a difference about our ‘first live’ here. The first live that ryota, toru and I did. And the one we had with tomoya. So firstly, we’ll talk about the live that ryota, toru and I first played at. At that time there were different members.  we had a different drummer and there was another guitarist. We were a 5 person band.
Toru: yeah that’s right.
Taka: lets talk a bit about that time. How was it initially, do you remember?
Ryota: well , of course it was memorable because it was our first live. At our first live I wasn’t moving at all. I just stood there. Seriously I really did not move at all. Only during tuning I leaned in front a bit and squatted and that was it.
Taka: you were like a statue then.
Ryota: that’s why at that time I thought “I wasn’t cut out for this”. 
Taka: like you weren’t cut out for the bass or music
Ryota: yeah, I wasn’t cut out for bass or music at all. I stood there feeling nervous, my fingers all hardened and my hand would slide. When I was asked to speak, I didn’t even have words to speak out. I felt that I wanted to quit doing this.
Toru: just after the first time?
Ryota: yeah after the first time. My tension was quite low.
Tomoya: it wasn’t fun?
Ryota: it wasn’t even at the point of fun, I wanted to go home.
Tomoya: well that meant it wasn’t even fun at all.
Taka: you wanted to go home
Ryota: I really wanted to go home, but even if I think back now it was a good experience. But for toru it was the opposite.
Taka: ahh yes, he was more energetic then he is now
Toru: that was ‘eckman’ right
Taka: yeah ‘eckman’. Hanada-shinji-san’s…
Ryota: ahh yes!!
Taka: it was an event.  The first live.
Toru: we were the opening act
Taka: we didn’t know which jack to plug into, we didn’t even know how to tune
Toru: we didn’t even know how to set up
Taka: we didn’t know what ‘setting’ was. To us we were like what does doing a soundcheck mean? Even though we faced such a situation, we still went for it.
Toru: we were like “ lets do this!”
Ryota: we don’t even know how to do tuning, that was really dangerous for me eh.
Taka: but I think everyone on stage was all like “yeah I know how this works”
Toru: yeah I think so too
Taka: when they asked “how do want this? How do you want the sound to be like?” I bet everyone was like “eh? What?! I don’t know!” but we were like “ahh just make it adequate”. We just rode with the feels.
[studio laughs]
Taka: ahh that was nostalgic
Ryota: ahh that’s seriously nostalgic.
Taka: that time were high schoolers, also that time when we booked the live, I didn’t remember everyone’s names. So at the homepage where we had our names on it, thinking how we finally have started as a band, the member names were to be written. So I was asked by the organizers what the member’s names were, I didn’t really know. So I just bombed random names and that was just written as it was on the homepage. I think for ryota..what was ryota’s name written as? It was like ryotata or something
Ryota: it sounds like Im not Japanese
Taka: yea. Even for toru, I think it was wrong as well. It was all messed up.
Ryota: because after the setting of the band was completed, toru immediately booked us a live.
Toru: no that one wasn’t me.
Taka: it was me, because I had an acquaintance.
Ryota: ahh it was mori-chan’s acquaintance.
Taka: with that we booked a live
Toru: and that was our first live. It was 3 months after we started the band.
Taka: yeah…its nostalgic.
Ryota: which means I first held the bass and within 3 months I performed at my first live.
 Taka & toru: yes.
Taka: 2 copied songs and about 3 of our originals? Total of  5.
Ryota: ahh like that song mistake
Taka& toru : ‘mistake’ was really a mistake
Ryota&toru: so lets all listen its ‘mistake’
[studio laughs]
Toru: it just ended with a ‘mis’
Taka: ahh it was all good experience, but we finished it off with a lot of confidence didn’t we.  We were like “we can make it!”
Ryota: we kept thinking we were awesome
Taka: yeah, we said cheers with a glass of orange juice. At that time, our parents. All the way from Osaka both of your parents
Toru: ahh! Oh yeah!! They came!
Taka: they came for the first live. The feeling was  almost to the extend where it was like “what is this?!”. We kept saying how “ we can do this! We are awesome!”. A confidence with no basis.
Ryota: our parents worried about us right
Toru: we were just caught up at that moment right
Taka: yeah. That was our first. Then next is the live where tomoya joined us.
Tomoya: the first live for me was at ‘Pink noise’
Taka: ahh pink noise. The place pink noise was considered our’home’ though now it is not around anymore. A live house at futagotama. We played a lot there. We learnt a lot of things from there. It was a livehouse with a lot of meaning for us.
Toru: what kind of live was it for you.
Tomoya: well first things first it was overwhelming. It all very sudden for me because I just got it. I received a MD, then was MD and I was told to remember all of it. There were about 10 songs to play at the live and I was told to remember them. I said okay I’ll remember them. Then I kept listening to it and there were really too many, so I kept telling myself “so its like this like this”  then I went in for rehearsals quite a lot of time and played.  Then from the first live it was quite ‘rusty’. I was too anxious and can only remember parts of it.
Taka: but comparing the tomoya then and the tomoya now, the person’s very different
Ryota: yea. Different. Everything’s different.
Taka: that time, how can I say this. He was like a slug (I heard namekuji and namekuji is..slug.)
Tomoya: that’s a big diss to me! How you can really put such a person like me (into the band). Someone that was like a slug.
Toru: you were very slippery eh.
Tomoya: whats with the slipperiness.
Taka: you looked like you had a lot of troubles
Tomoya: yah! That’s why how could you accept someone like this on the band
Taka: ehh I was just joking haha.
Ryota: because you kept looking down
Tomoya: was I really that kind of person!?
Taka: I  don’t really remember that but when we played at the ‘eckman’ again, that tomoya then I remember very clearly.
[everyone starts talking at once about how they remember that live with the biggest mistake]
Tomoya: ahh that one, at that time i haven’t got the feels to play yet.
Taka: I got a huge shock..that one.
Tomoya: that time I was already very nervous and was just playing. The indie song at that time, “moshimo taiyou ga nakunatara” there was this song,  when we were playing it at the live after the 2nd verse,  the drums (drumbeat) were supposed to disappear.
Taka: yeah it was supposed to be gone, abruptly.
Tomoya: yea then the vocals would like flow in but nearing the end of the 2nd verse, I was like “eh? What was after this?” without knowing, I was just hitting some beats
Taka: and it was even a super fast beat, jya-pan-du-du-pan! Just then I was like “te?” and I turned around, tomoya was like “uuuu—-wahh!” I screwed it!
Ryota: ahh I remember that too
Toru: ahh I remember too.
Tomoya: but at that time, takahiro followed up very well and was like saying (to the crowd) “lets get it on more!!” like we were trying to reach out to the crowd and it ended with a good note.  He carried out really well and it was great but that time my mind really went blank.
Ryota: well that’s very rare for you cuz it never really happens.
Taka: well now he dosent. If he does that now that will be a problem. We all even make the songs together. Ahh that was awesome..well it was something like that eh.
Toru: well everythings very nostalgic eh
Taka: and from there on we started to play more live and became who we are. Well if we continue talking then we’ll have many different stories popping up and we won’t be able to play a song so I would like to play one song here now. Please listen, its one ok rock’s clock strikes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment