Wednesday 6 March 2013

NHK Soundcheck File: Tomoya on his music influence- The Used


Ta- Taka To-Toru Ry-Ryota Tom-Tomoya
*Note: I totally spazzed cuz Tomoya actually likes ‘The Used’..gah, I loved them since I first heard them when I was 12 too..haha!!
Another note is that tomoya used loads of difficult words and so did taka so I was kinda lost at some parts so I apologize if it turned out pretty crappy. Sorry!
Ry: that was cant stop by red hot chilli peppers
Ta: yeah, ryota gets nervous when there is English
Ry: yeah this place (his mouth) just becomes munyu munyu (he’s describing his nervousness)
[Laughters]
Tom: why did you get stuck there..
Ta: next is, tomoya-kun
Tom: Yes!
Ta: well whats next?
Tom: well for me…
Ta: so this is tomoya’s ‘my first file’
Tom: for me, the first band that influenced me the most and the band I really love is the used.
Ta: Here it comes!!
Tom: I really loved them .This band..if I talk about them , my story would take a long time.
Ta: its okay for it to be long
Tom: well, I have an older brother , three years older. My brother ,when he was in high school started a band. He bought all kinds of CDs and taught me a lot of things.
For me my music roots was heavily influenced by my brother. The first (he learnt/heard) was melocore  and japan’s punk rock scene, those were the genre my brother used to play . I used to listen to hi-standard  and I thought their cool and all, so I always listened to my brother’s songs. From there on, my brother started listening to western music.
Ta: ahh I see, this is a common pattern
Tom: so he listened to them and then told me ‘tomoya this band is awesome, go listen to them’ and this group he said was the group I’m about to play, ‘the used’.
Ta: oh ho here it comes
Tom: wahh the first time I heard it, it was like DOOKII!!( I presume its how hard the song hit him)
[whole studio laughs]
Tom: I was like what is this!? The impact/shock it gave me was huge and even till now I listen to them a lot,
Ry: you love them right
Tom: yeah I really love them
To: so it was your brother’s influence
Tom: yeah
To: but your father likes them a lot too right?
Tom: yeah my father likes them too
To:ironokuro ni ya
Tom: ironokuro wa yo ke desho omai
[Didn’t get the two part on top, or rather it was hard to translate to english..]
Ta: always laughing too much
To: but as a family you liked the band, your brother and your father…
Ta: its very rare that your father(speaking of other people’s father) would like ‘the used’
Tom: well overall, just  for rock(music), you know the 80s rock and the current rock songs I’ve grew up to it, so everytime I go home, I hear the sounds of aerosmith, (led) zeppelin  and deep purple.
So those sounds were already playing in the house. When you go to my house there’s a lot of records
Ta: wah that’s awesome! That’s a good home!
Tom: we also have a whole stretch of CDs, so even when I go home there were rock songs playing already. So like just now toru was talking about avril’s songs, when avril came out I bought all her CDs in one go,
Ry: that’s awesome
Tom: well overall they just really liked music and they always came to our ‘live’ as well.
Ta: wherever we go in one look we can spot them by that whiteness (not accurate..couldnt hear it well)
[breaks out in laughter]
Ta: you might even think that they are entertainers
To: maybe because their black they look white
Ta: that maybe true, on the contrast when (the place) turns black you cant see them at all.
( I think it’s a joke but I really couldn’t decipher it, if any of you understand what was said tell me please!)
Tom: but for me that was the very first band I seriously got hooked on
 Ta: ahh so that’s how it is, but from this, if you see, (our) roots are all the same.
[everyone agrees]
Ta: everyone likes the used, we also like avril lavingne and also red chilli, I think this is a good thing don’t you think?
Tom: what one felt was cool, everyone felt cool about it.
[everyone agrees]
Ta: recently there aren’t many bands like this don’t you think?
[everyone agrees..]
Ta: you go to a record [store] and even if you try to find them, rarely you can find an artist that grips you , I understand how well we get inspired and influenced by them through their music.
Ta: so tomoya-kun how about we just hear this song?
Tom: yeah we should
Ry: lets listen to it!
Tom: then alright, can I play it?
Ta: Go ahead! Go ahead!
Tom: well this is my favorite song, please listen to it, ‘take it away’ by the used.

No comments:

Post a Comment