Tuesday 12 March 2013

NHK Soundcreator’s File Part 4: Of playing at lives(concert),festivals and overseas.


*Note: Credit to egsani for the clip and here’s the link for those who wants to hear it :D If you want to download it, just press ‘下戴
taka: and that was one ok rock with clock strikes. Just now we were talking about our first live and our different lives. The venues, we also played at different places.the latest being at places outside of japan.  Taiwan, korea and Singapore and also places entirely different from the livehouse we used to play at. So we will talk about how different these lives are. Being at a bigger venue and the different boundaries and fans, how they are different.
Taka: how was it? The first experience we had at a big place would be at ‘fes’ (festivals) right?
Toru: yeah fes..
Taka: well for fes, as compared to the live we always play at, the atmosphere is very different. Do you remember our first fes?
Ryota: when it was first confirmed, I remember how all our tensions increased.
Taka: the first was I think at ‘mujinto fes’. When I ran too much. I ran barefooted and was playing a game. As I was playing the game, I got stepped on my big toe and the entire nail came off.
Ryota: yeah! That one I really got scared that one…
tomoya: eyahh! It sounds painful!
Toru: with that you went straight to the hospital.
Taka: yeah I went to the hospital. It was right before our turn.
Taka: it was like ‘bachiiinnnnn!!’
Ryota: that was one scary thing!
Tomoya: eh that happened before? Are you ok?
Taka: I went to the hospital
Toru: then just really right before we were about to go up
Taka: right before we were about to go up I came back.
Toru: the first live and this happened.
Ryota: e-yah cuz he ran from the top in a fast speed , I was like ah this is dangerous! Then just right before my eyes, he tripped.
Toru: your tension was too high right cuz it was the first festival.
Taka: ahh that’s nostalgic eh
Ryota: yeah its nostalgic.
Taka: the crowd just increased after that. How is that. Is there a difference between performing in front of a big crowd VS playing at a small livehouse?
Ryota: well at that time, I was shocked at how huge the venue was. I think wasn’t moving at all again then.
Taka: ahh..statue eh.
Ryota: I think I was a statue-type.
Taka: ahh okay..how about toru?
Toru: well how was it…I think during the concert there was a part where I moved around a lot. In the past my guitar was connected to the amp via a shield. So at those huge places cuz everyone’s tension increase, I went to the right and to the left, the (wires) got really tangled up. Just to untie the knots was troublesome. And with that big stage, I remember running around.
Tomoya: toru was having quite a bit of fun then ah
Toru: yeah, because just because for the big stage I bought a 20m shield. (prob think it means the guitar cable)
Taka: yeah yeah he bought it he bought it.
Toru: yeah  really, so that I could go from one corner to the other. I didn’t want my movements to be limited because of the shield so I thought I should just buy it. Going was fine but I went over to ryota and our cables got tangled to each other, it was terrible.
Taka: ahh but everything’s so nostalgic. On the contrary tomoya, though you cant move how was it?
Tomoya: ah but…
Taka: which one do you like big stage or small stage?
Tomoya: eee-yahhh but, for fes,  I feel that the atmosphere is very special. The fact that its different from playing at the livehouse. But I think its only recent that I started to have fun playing.
Taka: yeah I think so too.
Tomoya:  only recently I started to genuinely have fun playing at lives.
Taka: I totally agree with you
Tomoya: so, in the past, I was like I should do my best and now, like last year, live became as fun as I thought it was
Taka: so you have become more accustomed to it and enjoying it
Tomoya: but I think playing at such a big space is special. Then playing at a small venue is fun in its own way. Either way I like them both.
Taka: ahh so that’s how it is..
Taka: and then overseas! Taiwan, korea and Singapore.  How was it to you all, well including me also.
Toru: well the people there are really. The audience is really of no joke.
Taka: yeah that’s right. I think really the feeling is different as compared to our audience in japan. For japan, they start to clap. When they do that I tend to stop (during ballads) but they don’t do that. They sing with us during ballads.
Toru: that feeling feels so good
Taka: yeah it feels good.
Toru: I was moved by that
Ryota: I was moved too.
Taka: this is something we wish the Japanese audience would learn too. Well listening to us is fun as well but enjoying the time together. Whether it’s a ballad or not, we should just sing together.
Toru: yeah I like that too
Taka: this right? If you do this you feel really good. I’m sure theres people who would like to listen (to us) as well but that was quite impactful for us.
At many times, there are foreign artists that come here to perform and we have seen it whether its on dvd or not, it felt like we were doing what they did ourselves.
Toru: like how all the ladies would gather in front and stuffs like that.
Taka: and say like “whoo!” . and they use words that cannot be broadcasted and stuffs like that. It was an awesome feeling.
This Taiwan, korea and Singapore. What impact/influence did you get from them?
Did your thoughts change?
Ryota: well we’ve been saying how we wanted to do a live outside of japan and finally we got away from japan and played. It made me want to play outside this triangle more earlier. I wanted to play at different place. The live was really fun.
Toru: though that also one point. Well, we’ve been saying how we are going overseas and how we can make it overseas! . but you really wouldn’t know until you went there. Then you really go there then you realize ah there is this much of people who listens to us, remember our songs and have been waiting for us. Really only when we first got there can we experience that.
Taka: just by the fact that this many people were gathered at this place was just a very mysterious thing.  But we were happy and we want to spread out music further. And this next song, we wish for everyone to sing this song, whether its overseas or in japan at the live, I hope you would look forward to it and remember it. Its also from our new album. Its called ‘be the light’.

No comments:

Post a Comment