Wednesday 6 March 2013

NHK Soundcreaters file: Ryota about how he came about playing the bass


Ta- Taka To-Toru Ry-Ryota Tom-Tomoya
*Note: just to credit, I got the clips fromhttp://myjhersey17.tumblr.com/post/44537529342/nhk-fm-sound-creators-file :) Thanks to the person who uploaded the whle show :D
Ta: next ryota san!
Ry: the song I will play today is different but the first band I heard, the first time I met ‘rock’, the people are good charlotte.
It was when I was staying with toru and ryo, toru suddenly woke me up and said
‘hey ryota do you know what a band is?’
‘why don’t you listen to rock just once’,
I was like ‘eh? What is that? I had no idea what rock was , then suddenly toru said “why don’t you listen to good char?” then,really,in the middle of the night I was listening to good char.That was my first time listening to it but I had no feelings for it whatsoever
Ta: by the way everyone this ‘ good char’ he’s talking about refers to good charlotte
Ry: I was listening to them and also ‘busted’ I also listened to them too.
To: wah its so nostalgic
Ta: that time it was famous(this genre),melocore punk kind of artists
Ry: so toru was like if this was rock maybe we can get into it. By this stage toru was already set on making a band.
Ta: he wanted to make a band
Ry: yeah he thought so but I ….
Ta: overall you were kept doing pon pon chiki chiki (refers to ryota being into dancing hip hop haha)
Ry: yeah ive been doing dance the whole time so contrast to it,  for a genre like rock you cant dance to it so I was not interested at all.  But everyday, as toru made me listen to good charlotte and other bands, I started to get into these bands, then I started to like good char, then just right at that timing, toru, next,suddenly came into my room with a bass and said ‘hey ryota, try the bass’ and that was how I met the bass.I started playing the bass but honestly it was not fun at all.
Ta: yeah it is, theres only 4 strings on it right
[whole room starts laughing]
Ta: but its true!
Ryota: no no, you try getting passed a bass so suddenly
Ta: but there isnt much people who would  like the bass then want to start off (in a band) as a bassist
Tom: you wouldn’t really know much about it right
Ta: its like after everyone has chosen what role they want to play then the last to be chosen would be the bass, to me I saw it like that.
Ry: but seriously I didn’t know the meaning of it and I was like maybe I’ll like it, but I wanted to be with toru so we just started the band
[whole rooms laugh about how ryota wanted to be with toru]
Ry: Well whatever toru did, because even for dance I did it with toru, I was like if toru does it then I will too.  With that mindset we started the band. For our first live, we copied good char as a band.  we copied good char’s 2nd album, and as we copied , honestly it was not fun at all. Just nice at that timing, maybe toru knew I wasn’t having much fun , he was like ‘hey ryota, try and listen to red chilli’
Ta: this one is red hot chilli peppers, you made it all short form from just now
Tom: yeah people might not get it.
Ry: so toru passed me the album and I met ‘flea’ that was when bass became fun. So if I did not meet red chili, I think I wouldn’t have liked bass this much. Its quite a legendary story isnt it? my story.
Ta: yeah including toru’s timing
[whole room laugh]
Ta: everything was of the right timing
Ry: yeah really everything was at the right timing, I was thinking what should I do and everytime we go back from the studio I always told toru about it. Cuz I only could talk with toru
To: yeah cuz you couldnt communicate much right
Tom: oh no he’s starting to sound pitiful
Ta: no but really you really couldn’t communicate well
To: even though your talking a lot now
Ta: he seemed to be just a smiling idiot, always smiling
Tom: even when he first met me, he was quite quiet.
[whole room agrees]
To: he was wearing a cat right (honestly I didn’t get this part..but I heard neko..so..)
Ry: when tomo-kun came in I felt a whole lot relieved.
Ta: well everyone was older than you then right, the first setting( of the band,before tomoya went into the band) was a bit intimidating I guess and the fact that you were the youngest troubled you right
To: but even though tomoya is the oldest
Tom: yeah im the oldest among ya’ll!!
Ta: but you came after, but even with the same condition and tomoya were to be younger then you(ryota) maybe the feeling would’ve been different, so this shows that the first set-up (of a band) is important
Ry: yeah tomo-kun just brightly, normally  accepted me which was kind of good
Ta: we had two support (members) that supported us and everyone was different. They weren’t really the people ryota could hang out with.
[everyone was talking about the importance of bass/band]
Ry: yeah its really important, when we were choosing a drummer, I was telling toru to pick someone I can seriously get along with
Ta: ahh so how it was..
To: well so this was good eh
Ry: that’s why the song I would play would be red chili
Ta: red hot chili pepper’s?
Ry: well red hot chilli pepper’s cant stop
Ta: ahh that’s a good song eh, so  I’m sorry I  made you say a few times but please say the song tittle again
Ry: ok just one more time, okay, this is red hot chili pepper’s cant stop

No comments:

Post a Comment